Sunday, December 02, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving



I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. We had wonderful weather this year. We were also lucky to spend the holiday with some great friends and eat delicious food. Sara and John were kind enough to have us over to their house for dinner. It was great to spend it with them because they will soon be moving to Arkansas. They put together a great feast and we got the chance to meet some of their family and friends. I believe this was the first time I have ever had Thanksgiving with just friends. We missed seeing our family but Sara and John made us feel at home the minute we arrived. Thanks guys for a great holiday, we are going to miss them terribly.

I can't believe its December already. We don't get out to the playground as much lately. The weather has gotten too cold for Brody to enjoy playing outside. So as you can see here, we are all bundled up snuggling on the couch. This time of year we all start to get a little cabin fever and I have to get even more creative to keep them from bouncing off the walls. We also seem to watch more TV than ever.

Coolidge is getting ready to take the ERB's. I never thought I would be saying that. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, it is an exam that 4 year olds take to get into private school kindergarten. Yes, it is strange and I really don't have a clue on how he will do or what type of scores you should get. I may be biased but I think he will do extremely well. Coolidge is a smart boy and has an amazing memory. However, I think all 4 year olds are incredibly smart. For some reason I am not worried about how he will do because i can't believe it is the deciding factor on whether he gets in or not. Maybe that is naive of me but I am sure that is why I am not stressed over this whole process. We are checking out some public schools also and are very excited about them. I will keep you posted on how it all goes.


Coolidge's favorite place is the Natural History Museum. We have been going there a lot because of the cold weather. I try to take Coolidge somewhere at least once a week to explore. We checked out the Butterfly Exhibit and the Mythic Creatures Exhibit. Coolidge just loves dragons so it was quite a treat for him. The butterfly exhibit was amazing to see but shear torture because we had our big winter coats on. By the time we got to the exit Coolidge was asking me to take off his shirt.


I don't take Brody to these places all that much because he doesn't really enjoy them just yet. He's just like Coolidge around this age, whenever he sees a Christmas tree he starts yelling. I am afraid to put up our tree because I know he will try to pull it down. When Brody gets very excited he raises his eyebrows and opens his eyes very wide. I will try to get a photo of him doing it because it is too funny to see. We took a family photo on Thanksgiving. I thought it would be complete torture to get the two of them to sit still and smile but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Of course we bribed Coolidge and made a counting game out of it for Brody. For some reason Brody loves it when you say 1..2..3 smile. Out of about 36 shots we got a couple of good ones.

A good friend of mine has inspired me to have prayer with my children every night before bed. I have been praying to God since I was a child but never thought too much about doing it with my children. As many of you know Ben and are not very religious but I thought it would be a great way to teach the kids appreciation. We end every night with something we are thankful for and something we are sorry for. I found it is a great way for them to learn about what they have and who they have in their life. It also has given Coolidge and us a chance to think about what we wished we hadn't done or whom we wished we had seen that day. I didn't know how Coolidge would accept this new ritual or if he would understand the whole concept. All I know so far is that he loves doing it and looks forward to it each night. If I forget to do it he reminds me and if we have company he asks them to join us. He gets a big smile on his face and I think hearing our prayers is helping him to understand the deeper meaning of it all.

I have a new discovery. This may be too much information but I always feel if you find something amazing you should share it with others because they too could benefit. Anyway, it is called "Certain Dri". It is a deodorant that you put on at night and it keeps you from sweating the next day. I don't know if you are like me but I have ruined many shirts because of the combination of sweating and deodorant on my clothes. It feels much lighter and you don't have to worry about pulling your shirt down carefully in the morning. I have been using it for weeks and just love it. I never had this problem when I lived in Seattle. I think it is because here you have extreme temperatures and because of that we sweat more. In the winter we wear more clothes and walk just as much so we sweat even during the cold season. I don't know maybe I am wrong but that is my belief. If you have this same problem you should check it out.

I have some wonderful news to share. One is that a Dunkin Doughnuts is opening in my area. I know to some of you that may seem small time, but to us Harlem folks, that is big time. I am so tired of walking for blocks and seeing empty shops everywhere I look. I can't wait when everything I need is just a few blocks or so away. The other great news is that our friend Sean Archer has just gotten engaged. He traveled the United States with his girlfriend Eun and proposed to her in NY. It was quite a story and you should check it out on his blog. You can click on the link above to read all about it. I had a feeling it would happen soon because I could tell he was in love. The idea that he carried the ring with him during their journey waiting for the right moment is quite romantic. Congrats Sean, we are very excited for you.

I have already started my Christmas shopping and I have to say it is a lot of fun to shop for my kids. It is amazes me how much I enjoy looking at gifts for the kids and imagining their face when they open it. I have to start my shopping early because I send many gifts home to family and friends. My mom is joining us this year and we are all very excited to have her hear for the first time. I think she is going to love NYC at this time of year. I find that it is very romantic and full of cheer. Also we have a babysitter for New Years eve...Can I get an Hallelujah for that.

I also want to share some movies that we have seen recently. We have been lucky enough to get some friends to babysit for us. One was a the new Cohen brother's film, "No Country for Old Men." I have to say I really enjoyed this film. The acting was superb and some of their best work. I left a bit confused but still worth every minute. It was a bit violent and I thought Tommy lee Jones did a wonderful job. If you are a fan of their films you should definitely check it out. We also saw, "The Mist." I don't get scared easily but I have to say I hid my face a couple of times. It was a great thriller and had me on my toes and entertained the entire time. I am so tired of the scary movie with the creepy ghost like child that looks like they have been dead for years. If you too are bored of the same old thing and like to be on the edge of your seat you should check it out. Steven King rarely lets me down.

I am going to end this with a cute video of my sister Christie shoving cake into Brody's mouth at his birthday party in Seattle.








video

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog! It is so good to here how you guys are doing and see such great photos! Im excited to hear how Coolidge does on his little test, let me know and wish him luck! We love you and miss you.

    Mark, Lindsy, Tyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie8:44 AM

    Hi There!
    Love your blog! Merry Christmas time!!!
    xoxoxo,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete