Saturday, September 19, 2009

POTTY TRAINING


Well the summer has come to end. The weather here has been great. Since we have been back from our Seattle vacation we have been riding bikes. Coolidge started school and Brody is going through potty training. We spent a couple of weeks getting the kids through jet lag and back on to their normal schedules so the first day of school wouldn't be a rude awakening.

We took Coolidge's training wheels off in the spring and got Brody his first bike. Since then they have been riding on some sort of wheels almost everyday. It used to be like pulling teeth to get Coolidge to ride his bike or scooter but now he is very comfortable and enjoys experimenting with what he can do. His cousins had taught him a few skills during vacation. Brody has become quite the rider. People stop on the street just to watch him ride. They can't believe a little guy could go so fast and have so much fun with this little wooden glider. He makes me laugh everyday. With that said he also makes my heart stop just as often.

Coolidge started his first day of school a little more than a week ago. I can't believe he is in the 1st grade. He is so proud of himself and today I saw how excited he is about learning to read. I know from his amazing imagination that once he reads on his own he will just devour books. We are currently finishing the first Harry Potter book and over time I have noticed how much easier it is for him to sit and listen. Coolidge is so excited to be a big boy. He loves to stand up while riding his bike, go as fast as he can down a hill. My heart cringes and thinks of him crashing and how bad that will feel and look. When I yell slow down he frowns and says, "why?" He is fighting me at night to stop brushing his teeth because he believes he can do it himself and some of his friends do it all on their own. I am trying to do a once over brush for as long as I can because I don't want him to get cavities. I showed my teeth and said, "I wish someone had brushed my teeth at night so I don't have all this silver in my mouth." Luckily that worked but probably not for long. However even though Coolidge desires being big he also craves being out little guy. He loves to be held and carried. He is one of the most caring sweet individuals I have ever met.

Brody is potty training. I don't know why but I remember it being much easier with Coolidge. On the first day Brody peed and pooped in his pants the entire day. On the second we had a lot of success. After that it got much easier. Matter of fact it was so easy I thought this is too good to be true. After one week of great potty behavior Brody decided he didn't want to go on the potty any more. There was a lot of yelling. When I say that I mean he screamed over and over and then I yelled back out of complete frustration. Brody protested pooping all together. He decided no poop needed to come out at all. the only other stubborn person I know is me and I realized I had met my match. I gave up and after some great advice from my friend Kerry. We agreed that we don't ask him if he needs to go potty and if he pees in his pants, so be it. We all know I am a control freak so letting him do that took a lot from me. I also let Ben handle if for two days because my sweet husband who never yells has much more patience and tolerance than me. He did a great job and we got over a huge hurdle. Brody is now doing well. He rarely has a pee accident and is starting to see that pooping on the potty is much better than in his pants. The day we conquer that obstacle, I plan to celebrate. I have potty trained a lot of kids in my day but by far Brody has been the hardest.

Ben and I have been very busy. Ben is working hard on his film and literally breaking his feet to play catch up for all the down time we had in the summer. He doesn't get any work in August so come September Ben works his but off every day to pay bills and pay for our long summer vacation in Seattle. I appreciate all he does. He works hard on every thing he does. I am watching him make his films and see how much he puts into the details. He has never done anything half assed. I love seeing how happy is to make films. I hope that one day catering will be a distant memory for him. I look forward to him making films and being waited on at the party. I am crazy busy because while Ben works all day and night I am on mommy duty. I am a class parent again this year and is quite a lot of work. Instead of putting Brody in nursery school me and two other mom's are doing a co-op. Brody goes to their houses for 3 hours and they bring their kids to me on Wednesday. We just started it but already I am excited for the free time and for Brody to have some creative time and play away for me. He told me today that they did some singing. Petra is great at teaching music to children and Lord knows I suck at that so I am happy he gets to do that with them.

I am sorry to hear that Jerry's mother Lucy passed away. She was one of the sweetest ladies I know, who also made the best apple pie I have ever eaten. I was privilege to know her and be a part of her family. she told me the secret to her pie and I feel I make a close second to hers. I add a few of her delicious dishes to my holiday dinners every year. I am happy to say that she is now with her beloved husband and son and will live on forever in our memories.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:30 PM

    Oh Andrea you are the sweetest, and I love you dearly. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another eloquent post, and a beautiful tribute to Lucy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 PM

    It sounds like you are one very busy little family! Good luck with the potty business. Nice blog as always. Cheryle

    ReplyDelete