Saturday, October 31, 2015

Changes



Haven't been able to write much because I planned to update this summer and life got a bit crazy in July when my mom got an offer on her house. The house sold and we moved to a cute house in Kirkland not far from her river house. I do miss my mom's house and it was a crazy stressful moving but I'm a firm believer everything happens for a reason and currently very happy where we are. 

Coolidge is now in Junior High. I had massive anxiety that this transition would be hard for him. Most of my fear came from my own horrible experience in the 7th grade. However, he has taken it all on and really shocked me with his new maturity. I got a quick lesson that he may be very mature but I still need to keep an eye on him because he also got his first F. I almost fell off my chair when I saw it on the computer screen. I immediately took it personal. As far as I was concerned I got the F. I chatted with his teacher and he was allowed to retake the test and turn in late work. In one week his grade went up to a C- and the 2nd week up to an A-. It shattered his confidence for a few days but now he is back to feeling good and motivated. 

He's also found a love for clothes. My little boy went from begging to go to Toys r Us to begging to go to the stores like Zumiez and the Mall. I always loved the idea of clothes shopping with him but my bank account is not happy. He also never cared about his hair. I could cut when I wanted and how I wanted but now he is very particular and makes sure to style it every morning and if the front doesn't do just what he wants it to do he gets quite upset. It is safe to say he is officially a teenager even though he is only 12. His teen attitude I could do without but I do have to say I love our conversations and watching shows and movies are a lot more enjoyable. 

When he started the school year he was given drama as an elective. This was not a class we chose but they couldn't fit him into stem. We complained to the counselor and she said she could move him but would have to change his entire schedule. I think that was more upsetting to him then taking drama so he stayed in. I thought this was going to be a class he hated and complained about all the time but he actually loves it. He is going to be in his first production tomorrow and I can't wait to see him on stage. I never thought I would say those words. I'm so proud of him stepping out of his comfort zone and learning that drama is fun. 

Brody shocked me about how sad he was about selling grandma's house. He shed a few tears and was also nervous about the new house, sleeping alone, and that he might have to go to a new school. The first couple of weeks in the new house he asked to sleep with Coolidge on his floor.  I think he need to build his security before sleeping alone. Now he loves his room and bed but was a bit of an adjustment. He has slept in the same room as Coolidge since he was born, you'd thought I would have predicted it. 

Now his is in the 4h grade and doing great in school. Still hates homework but has a some good friends and for the first time asking to play a sport. He has shown a lot of interest in basketball. Ever since T-ball he hasn't wanted to play any team sports. I'm excited to sign him up and find a new passion of his. 

Life here in the Northwest has been pretty good so far. Ben has struggled getting work but he is involved with his own project so I'm sure that it is the natural plan of life right now. I have loved all the family support. So many stepped up to help when we went through the move. My family and friends here are amazing and I couldn't have done it without them. Living in suburbia has some challenges. I have lived in the city for so long that I am learning all these crazy things like buying a lawn mower. That is one item I have zero excitement over. I love how you don't have anyone living bellow you or on top of you but I'm having to get used to all the heat escaping. I wear more sweaters and sweatshirts inside in 20 plus years. I also miss that false security you get when you live in an apartment building that nobody will break in. In a house it feels like someone can get in so many different ways. I know it silly but a huge transition for me. However the pros of living in a house are so much more. Coolidge recently said to me, "remember when we had to drive around a lot looking for parking"? Oh god do I remember it and don't miss it at all. I love garages and don't think I can go back to street parking. It is fun to write about our new adventures in suburbia living. Looking forward to sharing many more. 

6 comments:

  1. It's nice to read up on what you guys are up to. It's nice to see you guys doing well after the transition.

    Parking?!? Ugh!!! I can't stand it here. I can't wait until my kids say the same thing

    I'm DETERMINED to follow in your footsteps. The biggest difference is me never having to worry about heating my home.

    The sun will do that for me in southern CA!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing you do the same. You are right about the heat but your air conditioning will be your problem bill. :)

      Delete
  2. I'll bet Halloween is fun in the Northwest! What activities did the boys do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun but a little rainy this year. We went to my sisters house played with cousins and trick or treating. We miss you guys.

      Delete
  3. Hi Andrea, I can't imagine you doing the lawn, using the leaf or snow blower. ;-)
    but I can imagine you in a big kitchen with a lot of space and doing amazing plates.
    Say hola to the boys from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I Know. I will be doing it all very soon. I will say hello. Love watching your kids grow on instagram. We miss you guys.

      Delete